Saturday, May 19, 2018

Colorado Model Railroad Museum


Since my segment of P.C.C.M. 47 is currently delayed by the weather. I thought I would share a Model Railroad experience from last Thanksgiving. In the June 2018 copy of Model Railroader, Contributing Editor, Tony Koester talks about a recent trip to Colorado. One of the places he talks about is the Colorado Model Railroad Museum (CMRM) in Greeley. I won't go into much detail on Tony's experience there, however I will give a little insight into my first trip to CMRM.



 I'm not even going to try and give the museum proper credit for the amazing work that has been done there and the thousands of hours the volunteers spend on this creation. You have to see it in person to fully appreciate the amazing scale of it. To give a small perspective of the size of the layout, that's a 1:1 scale Colorado & Southern caboose in the background. Retired in 1974, Waycar 10583 was the last wooden caboose on the Colorado & Southern. It's been faithfully restored to original condition.


This masterpiece layout was started by a private individual as their own personal layout. It's common theme is centered on logging operations in Northern California and Oregon. The Southern Pacific and Oregon, California & Eastern are the two featured roads. However the local Colorado railroads have a loyal following and representation as well. Not to throw in any spoilers, some former CMRM locomotives may make an appearance in a upcoming P.C.C.M post.


As I mentioned earlier, logging is the primary focus of the layout. Here's a nice looking lumber yard scene. One of many such scenes on the layout. One aspect of the layout that I enjoy, is how the Museum uses regular model railroad items like this Atlas lumber yard. Neal's Lumber on the N.Y.C.T.L. is a great example of this idea. They just magnify the size and scope of it.


Lumber may be king on the layout, but there are several other industries represented as well. This scrap metal dealer is a nice source of traffic as well. Reminds me of a local scrap dealer in West Mill, New York.


Lots of mountain scenery as well. Here we see a Union Pacific "Big Boy" locomotive pulling a solid string of reefer cars through the mountains. I followed this train for close to twenty minutes, before I completely lost it. Just amazing on how a train this size could disappear and reappear at random on the layout. There were about six different trains running on the layout during the time I was there.


 

Here's a video of a Union Pacific livestock train crossing one of the many large trestles on the layout.


I was glad to see Colorado railroads represented on the layout as well. During the year the Museum will showcase certain railroads on the layout. This allows fans to see their favorite railroad running the full scope of the session.


Another scene that covers the reality of Western railroading, is this well done set up of a forest fire. My picture doesn't do it justice, it has both flames and smoke during a three minute run.


Taking photos of the trains on the layout were just about as challenging as the prototype. You almost had to stock them and plan for your shots. Here's a pair of Santa Fe FP45's pulling a holiday special. Even at scale speed, you had to be quick with your shots.


Here's the California Zephyr rolling through town. Some nice lumber traffic in the foreground as well. So much to see. I'm planning another trip to the Museum this year.


Another shot of the Union Pacific Livestock train. Some links to the Museum. http://cmrm.org/pcindex.html   Some great videos of the Museum and layout, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oEkz3_WphA

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing pics of this excellent museum layout! Very inspiring!! Along with everything else the great looking scrap yard certainly did catch my eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph! It was my pleasure to share the photos from the Museum.

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a great place to visit! Some nice pics. No John R, you can't ask them to do some VO with the lumber yard!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With such a great customer as Neal's Lumber & Hardware on the N.Y.C.T.L. I would never!

      Delete
    2. Neal, That would be awesome if we could do a VO with the Museum layout. I'm going to have a PCCM post with a small connection to the Museum.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this Brian!!! i just finished reading the Koester article and it wet my appetite to put this on my bucket list. When that day comes I'll let you know and perhaps we can enjoy a day there together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. It would be great if you could come out here and see all of the railroad attractions in Colorado. I would like to see the NYCTL and HRC in person as well.

    ReplyDelete