Sunday, November 18, 2018

Intermodal Virtual Ops 1B

Greetings and welcome to the very first virtual Intermodal Ops between five different layouts. John B. started the series on the West Coast with Intermodal Virtual Ops 1A. Here's a shot from his post.


Since each participating layout has equipment from different eras and locations, we decided to "freelance" our different postings. Mine is from the early to mid 1980's. Before the Double Stack trains and with an exchange between the Burlington Northern and Conrail.


Nothing says 1980's railroading like a SD-40-2. This Burlington Northern SD-40-2 is seen racing across the High Plains, between Denver and Omaha. It departed Rennick Intermodal Yard in Denver with a planned exchange with Conrail in Chicago.


BN SD-45 #6422 is working its final years with the Burlington Northern. Being a 1960's era gas guzzler and maintenance issues with the 20 cylinder 645 prime mover. The Burlington Northern was anxious to send them to a early retirement.


In contrast, Burlington Northern GP-38-2 #2264 was quite low maintenance and easy on the gas.








Starting out our Intermodal segment, some "spine cars" set up for COFC. These cars and containers were made by Concor in the late 1980's.






Some interesting TOFC cars made by Front Range Products in the 1980's. They were modified 50 foot flatcars for Intermodal Service. Those are Front Range 45 foot trailers as well.








Another set of Concor "spine cars" with Athearn and Front Range Trailers. I lost the decals to this set at some point. I'll have to track some new ones down and weather them according to John B's information in Intermodal Virtual Ops 1A.


















This group of cars represents my earliest attempts to bring TOFC service to my layouts. With my limited space and tighter track radius, there was no way I could run 89 foot Trailer Train TOFC flatcars. My solution was shall we say interesting. Using 40 and 50 foot flatcars, with Athearn, Concor and Front Range Trailers. I may have to revisit these cars someday.


Bringing up the rear is an Athearn Wide Vision Caboose. I bought this at a Swap Meet in 1978. We've seen a lot of miles together. Thank you for reading! Stay tuned for additional posts on this Virtual Intermodal Ops.

9 comments:

  1. To: Rennick Intermodal Yard / Zenith Yard / CSX Reynolds Yard / Williams Yard
    From: Terminal Yard

    Acknowledge departure of C.O.F.C. / T.O.F.C. Train from Denver to Chicago.

    Terminal Yard out...

    Nice showcase of your 1980's era intermodal and diesel fleet Brian! I've always been a fan of the BN and like that paint scheme. I need to check my son's stash to see what BN units he has that I can 'borrow'. That caboose with the conductor really looks good bringing up the markers. Do you know what the P stands for? I've also seen it on some cabooses in a book I have.

    As John B noted this Intermodal Ops has brought on some long forgotten modeling projects. I can definitely match up with some of your trailers. Well Done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir John!!! It’s been a couple of decades since the Intermodal equipment has hit the rails. I can understand John B’s situation. That would be cool if you can find some BN equipment from your son’s roster. The “P” on the Caboose is for pool service. I think the Pool Caboose was equipped with additional radio and signaling equipment to travel on other railroads.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info on the BN 'Pool caboose'!!! My search for BN motive power has yielded a few surprises that I should be able to incorporate in the next round. Thanks for posting such a fine entry to make this intermodal op a success!

      Delete
  2. Same here as a fan of the BN green and black that I used to see around the Twin Cites all the time when we moved here n 1982. I enjoyed reading your comments regarding the relative fuel efficiency and preferred models of locomotive on the BN. You have a good looking roster of intermodal cars and presented them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ralph!!! Some background information from my 1:1 railroad connections. I agree, the BN scheme is a classic. I like their rainbow era with the four parent and two subsidiary roads adding to the paint scheme mix.

      Delete
  3. Great shots of interesting vintage equipment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice array of equipment. the BN is still one of my favorite roads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir Neal!!! It’s hard to believe the BN has been gone 24 years now. I’ve been a fan of CSX and its heritage as well 😃

      Delete