Sunday, January 27, 2019

Projects for January 2019

Greetings and welcome to an extra edition of the Ralston Creek Railroad Blog. This post will cover some projects to kickoff the New Year. Custom painting in these parts can be a challenge during the Winter months. I was able to get a number of items in primer this weekend. Hard to say when the weather will provided another window of opportunity. Tomorrow is supposed to be snow and below freezing temperatures. Poor PC Ralph's neighborhood is going to feel like the Arctic Circle compliments of the Polar Vortex brewing north of the border. He'll be starting and finishing his painting by August.


First up is an Athearn F7B that was rescued from the Purgatory Box. I've had several ideas for this shell. Rio Grande "Bumble Bee" scheme, Penn Central "Black Dip". Finally remembered my Rock Island F7A in the red and yellow "Speed Lettering" scheme did not have a partner unit. Hands down the Red &Yellow Speed Letting scheme is my favorite of the Rock Island's many paint styles.


In time, I hope to have my shell painted up like this prototype photo of a classic Rock Island F7B.


My next project is a LV Northeastern style caboose. I picked up this vintage gem at a local train show for the princely sum of one Dollar. John R. did such a nice job on his PC #18423. I found this picture of sister PC #18422. Another classic scheme to add to the collection of ex-LV style cabooses.  


Penn Central #18422 bringing up the rear of a Penn Central freight in the 1970's.


A pair of Roundhouse three bay hoppers ready to serve as H39 class hoppers on the Penn Central.



Penn Central and Conrail H39 hoppers covered by the Highball Graphics decal sheet.


One of my all time favorite classes of boxcars. You can never have enough X58 boxcars on the roster.


I can only hope my vintage Athearn X58 looks anywhere as nice as this Tangent X58.


Next up is a pair of Tyco 60ft Hi-Cube boxcars. I plan to add them to my auto part shipment fleet.






I plan to paint my X59 class cars in similar schemes as these Micro Train examples. I really like the looks of the Pennsy patch model. Of course the classic PC scheme looks sharp as well.


Next up is a trio of Penn Central 100 ton H43D class open hoppers. Classic coal haulers for the roster.


PC Ralph and John R. recently showcased several H43D's on P.C.C.M 55 using the Highball Graphics decal sheet shown above. I'll have to follow suit and use some of their fine decals.


Some lucky scores at Caboose Hobbies. I found a pair of Bowser PC H21 class 70 ton hoppers.

Also found a P&LE outside braced boxcar by Accurail. Looks like this paint scheme was introduced late in the Penn Central era. Might have to adjust the time period slightly to fit my PC roster.

Thanks for reading and I plan to provide updates on the progress for these continuing projects. Take care and stay warm. Ralph if the electricity is still working, take a snow day and run some trains.😄

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like some great projects over at the Ralston Creek shops. I'm sure you'll be busy over the winter months. Looking forward to see the results!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir Neal!!! Just have to wait for the next warm weather and open the paint shop again.

      Delete
  2. Great projects and great scores on the models and decals!!!
    I like your choice of Rock Island for the F7B. That is a classy scheme. The coal hoppers are going to look great! The H21s from Bowser are nice kits of coal hoppers that were in service for around 50 years. Looking forward to seeing these projects as they continue to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sir John!!! It’s been a while since I’ve done any serious Rock Island projects. I hope I still have the touch. The H21’s are my first Bowser kits. They look like nice kits to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked the Rock Island and am looking forward to seeing the F7A & B in service. The Bowser kits are nice kits to work with. I recommend a new single edged razor blade for cutting the parts from the sprue unless you have a sprue cutter. I did a two part series on my first builds of these kits. I ended up with about a dozen or so of them. Here's the link to part 2 wchich is the meat and potatoes of the builds;
      https://newyorkcentrallayout.blogspot.com/2017/06/swap-meet-report-and-follow-up-part-2.html
      Lastly the trucks are a bit tight and I found that Intermountain metal wheels worked well for them if you are going that route.
      Good luck with your projects!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sir John with the tips on the Bowser cars! I'll have to go back and look on your posts for the assembly of them. I do plan to add Intermountain wheel sets to them.
      The Rock Island project would have never happened with Polly S paints being discontinued. But I found a rattle can paint that is in my opinion a perfect match for UP yellow. I'll have to test my new color on this project.

      Delete
  4. You sir have some excellent projects lined up for the year! Looking forward to following their progress! You're right about the cold weather in my neck of the woods making it impossible to do painting projects outside. I suspect the paint would freeze into a solid cone coming out of the can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much Ralph!!! Your post earlier in the month about New Year's resolutions inspired my post. You guys are really getting clobbered with the cold weather. That's too funny about the spray paint coming out in a solid cone. I guess you could call it Montana Cold, or Montana Froze. Take care and try and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete