Saturday, March 10, 2018

A Caboose by any other name.

Greetings and to be honest I'm really not sure what the title of this post implies, just sounded cool. Last week I got to hangout with my train buddy, Conductor Bruce. He was telling me about the new addition at Caboose Hobbies. I really don't need much of a reason to make a trip to Caboose, being about 15 minutes from my house. But this was enough to go out of my way to see.


A real Caboose for Caboose Hobbies! Not just any caboose either. This one was built here in Denver at the Rio Grande Burnham Shops. A hometown native, finds a new resting spot a few miles from where it was first assembled. Hats off to Caboose Hobbies for saving this piece of local history!


Unfortunately age and the elements had wiped out the road numbers on the side of the caboose. However proof of identity was discovered above the door frame. Rio Grande caboose number 01416 is now identified. The rest of the lettering and paint has held up well after all of these years out in the elements.


     I'm sure D&RGW 01416 will be the focus of thousands of train fans every year.


Seeing D&RGW 01416 inspired me to do a shameless plug for my own caboose project. I've lost my mind and now have started to customize O scale trains. It's not like I didn't have enough HO projects back logged on my list. But this was a fun project to mess around with. Some black paint and Rio Grande decals helped transform this old Lionel caboose, into a hometown favorite.


I found this Lionel Santa Fe caboose on eBay for the staggering sum of $4.00 dollars. I was pleasantly surprised on how cheap the MPC Lionel era items cost. So I bought three of them. The other two will be for a future post. I don't know what type of printing they used on this caboose, but it is some tough stuff. I tried my Solvaset trick on it and didn't even budge it. I then tried John R's 91% rubbing alcohol trick on it. It slightly faded the lettering. I finally had to breakout some 400 and 600 grit sandpaper to remove the lettering. It was not going to let go of its Santa Fe heritage without a fight.


It was a fun project and will add some local flavor to my O scale collection. I recently found out the 1:1 scale version of D&RGW 01447 was saved and moved to a local museum here in Denver. I'll have to track it down and get some shots of it as well. I don't know if it retained its original paint scheme like this one or if it got repainted into the orange "action" scheme like 01416. Thanks for checking out the Blog!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Just what you need! Another reason to visit Caboose Hobbies. Don't forget to go inside! ATJOE1972 is a many of many scales! Nice O sale project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir John!!! I try and combine my trips to Caboose and keep my damage to the budget to a minimum. I started doing O Scale projects after I saw my Dad's O Scale set up at Christmas. He was noting the lack of available Cabooses in Rio Grande paint. Well the rest is history. I've got a few more O scale projects in the works.

      Delete
  2. Attaboys for Caboose Hobbies on rescuing the Rio Grande caboose. And what better place than outside a hobby shop. Seems like a smart business move to have such great advertising outside the shop. Who doesn't love a good caboose ?

    Nice job on your Rio Grande project. It really looks sharp. Where did you get the decals from ? And in 0-scale nonetheless. Way to go. If you would like to see it in action please feel free to send it my way for some undetermined timeframe and I will put it thru its paces.

    The price of MPC have been dropping pretty much along the lines of postwar. I especially like the MPC era locomotives. They have decent detail and run well. Their only drawback is that the reversing unit (E-Unit) is usually pretty noisy. As you found the rolling stock can be had really cheap. I have a couple of dozen in the bins that are candidates for repaint projects. Thanks for the neat photos and story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed,
      I agree Caboose really did a big favor for rail fans and customers by saving a 1:1 scale real caboose. I hope they will have open houses and let us see the inside of the caboose.

      Thank you, it was fun to paint up a neglected subject in O scale. I was able to cobble together the decals from HO scale sets. The Toy Scale trains aren't that much bigger than larger HO scale boxcars.
      I'm sure we can send some rolling stock to the HRC for extended testing. Let E.E. check the safety and operational qualities of the equipment.

      I'm always looking for a bargain, so the MPC era equipment fits my bill.

      Delete
  3. Looks like Caboose is upping its game. I visited the store in Denver more than 20 years ago, dealt with them mail order in the 2000s, but stopped after a number of bad transactions, including billing my credit card for a different customer's sale. I wonder if the former owners lost interest. If the new ones are on the ball there may be hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      For a brick and mortar store, Caboose really had no equal. The closest thing I ever saw was the San Antonio hobby store in Mountain View, California. But they had all different products instead of just Model Railroading. The internet was not one of Caboose's strong points and could see why you had problems with them. For some reason they just couldn't pull together that side of the business.
      I really hope new Caboose Hobbies can find a happy spot in the changing world of e-commerce.

      Delete
  4. Great job on the caboose! the Rio Grande has always been a favorite of mine, especially the passenger cars. I have a string of the D&RGW Overton cars painted in the 'Bumble Bee' scheme. I have it in N scale, HO scale, and On30, all on display in the train room.
    I hear that the Caboose Hobbies has really upped their game for trains. Nice to see a Train store survive in this day and age...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neal,

      I was not aware of your interest in the Rio Grande. I guess we have cross country prototype interests. That's cool you have several examples of Rio Grande "Bumble Bee" trains.

      I really hope Caboose can find a place in the ever changing world of retail and e-commerce.

      Delete
  5. Nice work in another scale! I've had similar encounters with rolling stock that didn't want to give up their original livery in 91% alcohol and resorted to brake fluid...the nuclear option. Your efforts turned out beautifully. Always glad to see a preserved caboose, hack, crummy, cabin car...by any other name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ralph!!! I'm glad Caboose was able to save a local piece of railroad history. Thanks for the advise on the lettering removal. I used brake fluid years ago. Lionel may rate the additional level of paint removal. I have a project in the works right now, how about a "Waycar"

      Delete